Friday, November 5, 2010

Lerner's Writers

In The Forest For the Trees, Betsy Lerner has great advice on seeking agents and publishers. She is an editor who knows the business in and out, having worked in the NY publishing world for many years as an editor. Her stories are fascinating and she gives a perfect insider’s look at the realities of the industry.
Mostly, I love how she breaks down writers into personality types according to how they think and work. Dare I say in which group I probably fit. I hate to say it, but The Ambivalent Writer would probably be the one that most describes me, as I do have lots of great ideas with less follow through than most folks. I must admit I'm a little A.D.D.(undiagnosed), have trouble focusing, and I'm pretty talented at a variety of creative tasks. I enjoy writing. And that is exactly why I am here working on my Master’s degree. Perhaps I feel that once I have the extra credentials under my belt, it will be a license to write as well as teach. And that I will, finally, have some authority to do so. I was hoping that by getting into the habit of writing every day, it would come more naturally and I’d feel a little more confident in my abilities. I have been in graduate school now for several weeks, and have been so busy keeping up with assignments (and running my design business) that I haven’t had time to notice whether my actual writing skills are being enhanced or not. I am learning the business. I am being pushed to do some projects that I’ve had on the back burner (in my mind). And mostly, I am reading some of the most wonderful and thought-provoking tales by authors and editors about writing and being a writer.
Which brings me back to Lerner’s description of writers: The Neurotic, for one. Lerner says, “Writers love to worry. By their very nature they are neurotic.” Damn. Who knew?
I was born a worrier, but it is a trait I have tried to lose for some time now. My mom, who also wrote in her younger years, was the biggest worrier. I don’t think I fit into The Neurotic category, but it’s something I will explore more closely. I believe the majority of writers have a little bit of each of Lerner’s writers in us. Some Wicked Child, some Self-Promoter, and then there’s the lucky Naturals. I only wish I was a Natural. My son is a Natural, so I guess I could have carried the gene and passed it on to him.
But I digress. I was going to write about landing an agent or publisher.
I will save that for the next post. Until then, keep writing.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote my most recent blog entry on the types of writers that Lerner talks about too. Unlike you, though, I don't think I fit into any of the categories! My boyfriend writes computer code instead of prose, and he is definitely a worrier too. :) Did you get as annoyed as I did at the number of times that Lerner characterizes writers as not caring about their appearance and not being good at social situations? 'Cause I know that, like me, you actually have people skills and you also dress well. What's up with that stereotype anyway? :D

    Your son must be lucky to be a natural. Maybe he can give us all some pointers. ;) See you in class Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete